West Coventry Academy is committed to ensuring the welfare and safety of all students. We believe that students have a right to learn in a supportive, caring and safe environment which includes the right to protection from all types of abuse.
Staff are vigilant for signs of any student in distress and are confident in applying our Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures. Each Year group has a Pastoral Leader who supports the welfare of students.
Safeguarding legislation and government guidance says that safeguarding means:
- Protecting children from maltreatment
- Preventing impairment of children's health or development
- Ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
- Taking action to enable all children and young people to have the best outcome
The school's Safeguarding and Child Protection Team consists of: The Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) Mr Chris Paton (Deputy Headteacher), the Assistant Designated Safeguarding Lead at the school is Mrs Ana Neofitou (Acting Deputy Headteacher) and Mrs Louise Price (Safeguarding Officer). The lead member of staff for E-safety is Mr Bertram Richter.
The school safeguards students with reference to the following three Department for Education guidance documents:
- Working Together to Safeguard Children 2015
- Keeping Children Safe in Education 2016
- The Prevent Duty 2015
The Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy is available to parents and students on the school website. All staff receive annual Safeguarding and Child Protection update training and are aware of the procedures for passing on concerns within school. Key members of staff receive specialist training throughout the year.