School Aims & Ethos
West Coventry Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Aims, Principles and Ethos
We have four main aims:
- to develop the potential of each student to the full
- to ensure equal access to a broad, balanced curriculum which is relevant to every student
- to create an orderly, stimulating and happy atmosphere in which each individual is equally valued
- to develop moral, social, cultural and international awareness
We believe that students learn best:
- when they are challenged and stimulated;
- when learning experiences suit different levels of ability;
- when students are encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning;
- when they feel secure in an environment which respects their cultural, social and religious differences;
- when staff have high expectations of all learners whatever their ability level or background.
We believe that every member of the school community has a part to play if we are to be educationally effective.
Our ethos is supported by a belief in the best of traditional values whilst meeting the challenge of preparing young men and women to meet the demands of a world in which technological advances are accelerating and awareness of an international dimension is ever more important.
We hope to cultivate a positive working atmosphere in which students respect themselves, each other and their environment. We expect students to be courteous and considerate, and to respond to reasonableness.
We believe that it is very important to acknowledge achievement whenever possible. Students receive commendations and certificates in recognition of personal success. Tutors encourage students to be proud of their achievements both in and out of school. Displays of work feature strongly around the school.
We deal firmly and appropriately with bad behaviour, lateness and truancy. We aim to involve parents as much as possible in the disciplinary process.